Active parent volunteers have always been part of the AYSP culture. With approximately 500 students supported by a small administrative staff, parent volunteers are essential to the success of the program. Throughout the year there are numerous opportunities to get involved from just a few hours to a weekly commitment, including taking attendance and assisting conductors at rehearsals. Other parents contribute gift-in-kind services and goods that reduce expenses to the program.
We request that parents participate as volunteers to the extent they are able, and we also welcome community member volunteers. Please complete and return the Volunteer Application Form and check the skills you can provide, tasks you can assist with, and time commitment you are able to make.
Each ensemble has two to four Parent Managers who provide weekly assistance to the Conductor, students and their parents or guardians. Responsibilities throughout the year may include:
- Assisting with student fundraising efforts
- Supporting dress rehearsals, concerts and school tours
- Taking attendance
- Uniform and t-shirt sizing
Additional Ensemble Support
Additional fundraising and program support is needed for all groups. Time commitments vary by project. We are currently looking for assistance with:
- Supervising parking, drop-off, and pick-up during rehearsals
- Finding/gathering concert program sponsorships (Fall and Spring Concert Programs)
Our students perform in two concerts per year, the Fall Concert in November/December and the Finale Concert in April. One additional optional concert is scheduled for YS and YO students in December. Your support is needed in the following areas:
- Assisting with moving percussion and music-related equipment to performance venue
- Hosting receptions (Youth Symphony Concerts only)
- Selling tickets and merchandise
Office And Building Support
From time to time our staff may need help at the office. Time commitments will vary depending upon the project. Some of the ways you can assist our staff include:
- Building maintenance projects, e.g. painting, cleaning, maintaining parking lot, weeding, etc.
- Data entry or file digitization
- Music Library upkeep, e.g. processing donations, organizing files, etc.
The Luminaria fundraiser is an AYSP tradition! Every season since 1981, AYSP students and families fold, sell, assemble, and deliver thousands of dozens of luminarias across the Albuquerque metro area to raise funds as part of our largest fundraiser. Luminaria needs may include:
- Assemble luminarias at a workhouse (1 day, first Saturday in December)
- Sponsor your home as a luminaria workhouse (1 day, first Saturday in December, with supply pick-up and sand delivery arranged ahead of time)
- Deliver luminarias to customers (1 day, first Saturday in December)
AYSP hosts the annual EXPERIENCE NEW MEXICO! Raffle that awards prizes unique to New Mexico. Students can earn their own prizes for selling tickets, and the raffle drawing is held as part of our Spring Finale Concert series. Raffle needs may include:
- Collecting and tracking ticket sales
- Distributing student prizes
The Albuquerque Youth Symphony Program was established in 1955, with thousands of students participating throughout the years. AYSP is proud to host an alumni reunion every five years to celebrate our history as an organization and to reconnect with students, conductors, and friends from across the country. Reunion needs may vary based on the event schedule.