Note: Do not use this form to report absences from concerts or dress rehearsals! These are required activities, and you must speak directly with your conductor.
Group (Required) - Select - Youth Symphony Youth Orchestra Youth Concert Orchestra Junior Symphony Junior Orchestra Junior String Orchestra Junior Band Preparatory Strings Elementary String Project I have already discussed this absence with my conductor(s) (Required) AYSP Attendance Policy
1. Absences from regular rehearsals are limited to a specific number per season (September through June).
Junior/Preparatory ensembles = 4 absences maximum
Youth ensembles = 3 absences maximum
2. There are no excused or unexcused absences. Any time you are not present at a rehearsal for any reason – illness, soccer game, vacation, etc. – you will be considered absent.
3. Absence limits do not apply to concerts or dress rehearsals as these events are mandatory.
4. Absence from ½ of a rehearsal may be considered ½ absence toward your total. For example, if you need to be absent to attend a soccer game or award ceremony, you may arrange with your conductor to be absent for first or second half of rehearsal. Student should only arrive or leave during break.
5. Absences due to required school music performances or rehearsals must be pre-arranged with your conductor as soon as you are aware of the conflict. AYSP conductors will contact your school conductor once made aware of the conflict. Required school music performances will not count against the absence limits if, and only if, they are addressed in a timely manner.
What If I Have To Miss A Rehearsal?
1. Tell your conductor ASAP: Please let your conductor know that you will be absent as far in advance as possible. This is an opportunity to discuss what you may need to do to catch up or alternative options. DON’T STOP HERE THOUGH – YOU MUST COMPELTE STEP 2.
2. Report the absence online: You must report the absence as soon as possible. Use the form to the from below. AYSP does not accept phone calls, email, or messages to report absences. (If you do not have regular access to the internet, please let us know so we can make alternate arrangements for you to report absences.)
What Happens If I Go Over The Allowed Number Of Absences?
1. When you reach the maximum number of absences for your ensemble, you will receive a letter from your conductor and be put on probation. If you miss another rehearsal, you may be dismissed from the program at the discretion of your conductor and the Music Programs Director.
2. When we are forced to consider dismissal from the program, your communication with your conductor and timely reporting of absences will be taken into consideration. We may request verification of the reason for absences over the maximum allowed (i.e. note from school conductor or doctor).