Position Title: Youth Orchestra Conductor
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Music Director
Location: AYSP Facility/Various Venues
The Youth Orchestra (YO) is an advanced, full symphonic orchestra of high school string, woodwind, brass and percussion players from across the Albuquerque area. Youth Orchestra students have the opportunity to advance their skills while performing a variety of traditional symphonic orchestral repertoire as well as works by contemporary composers.
Position Function Summary:
The Youth Orchestra Conductor is a part-time, seasonal position and reports to the AYSP Music Director. The position is responsible for direction and instruction of AYSP’s Youth Orchestra (YO). The Youth Orchestra Conductor maintains high performance quality of the ensemble through thoughtful artistic direction and education, modeling for students the attitude and presence of an exemplary musician. The Conductor also collaborates in developing artistic vision for AYSP and serves as a representative of the Program in the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Direct all weekly rehearsals (Mondays, 6:15 – 9:00 pm), dress rehearsals, concerts, and school tours for YO per season calendar provided prior to the beginning of the season.
- Select music to be performed and prepare YO for scheduled concerts.
- Be prepared to conduct one or more virtual learning sessions with students in lieu of in-person rehearsal time in the event required by a public health order or other circumstance preventing YO from rehearsing in person.
- Coordinate the borrowing and/or purchase of music for each YO concert, obtaining prior approval for expenses and adhering to guidelines and deadlines set by Music Director. Responsible for preparing music bowings and fingerings (if applicable), copying of parts, and folder preparation prior to the first rehearsal of each new concert program.
- Accept responsibility for securing (locking and arming) AYSP facility before and after rehearsals as well as weekly rehearsal set-up & tear-down.
- Prepare and send weekly Rehearsal Notes to students.
- Oversee attendance and facilitate probation letters.
- Instruct and oversee your parent volunteer(s) during rehearsals.
- Uphold and enforce student behavior policies as outlined in the AYSP Musician’s Handbook during all YO related activities including concerts and school tours.
- Direct sectional instructors during sectionals.
- Participate in annual recruiting efforts, actively recruiting students to audition for YO and AYSP programs.
- Serve as an adjudicator for annual AYSP auditions as requested each spring in late April/early May.
- In cooperation with the AYSP Music Director, serve as a spokesperson for AYSP and foster positive relationships with other music educators and community members on behalf of AYSP.
- Attend artistic staff meetings as scheduled.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of orchestra repertoire
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, audience, and critical community partners
- Public speaking skills, able to energize an audience and motivate students
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities in a dynamic and changing work environment
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends
Bachelor’s degree in music education with proficient teaching and conducting experience; Master’s degree in music preferred
Midnight of Sunday, February 25, 2024
Send the following materials to AYSP by email: email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Three references with contact information
- Video footage of teaching a music ensemble, if available; 5-10 minutes in length